Onetime Passwords (Use case)
1. Provide a self-service Web interface for users to generate/view an OTP code which can then be used on MFP’s to register their card
2. Account-wide option to email OTP code to users on their first print to a pull queue if no cards associated with the user
Onetime Passwords (Functionality)
One-time password (or OTP) is an authentication method where the password is generated which can only be used once. After it is used for successful authentication it is removed from user’s profile.
There are two primary ways to generate one-time passwords:
My Profile portal page and
Generate button on that page. The user should have
GenerateOTP permissions in order to be able do that:
2. Using trigger rules. There is a trigger example added under inactive triggers which generates OTP on a first print job that the user sends to the system and then sends this OTP to the user’s email address. This trigger can be activated by the administrator in order to be operational:
Important note: in order for the email sending to work the following conditions must be met:
- At least one valid messaging configuration defined under
- At least one messaging template defined under
- A combination of messaging config and template is selected in the
Send emailtrigger action.
There is a sample OTP template and sample messaging config created when the server is bootstrapped. They are also pre-selected in the trigger configuration so the administrator can just edit the messaging config to adjust SMTP address and other parameters.
Post your comment on this topic.