If only one Wide Area Mobile Print subdomain has been created (recommended) the configuration needed to instruct Apple iOS devices to query the domain is simple.
Single subdomain configuration on Windows DNS
In addition to a delegation DNS record for the single “mobileprint.company.com” subdomain as outlined in the previous section, create DNS-SD discovery record in Windows DNS.
- Under the domain (in this case company.com) right-click on _udp and select Other new records.
- Select to insert a Service Location (SRV) record.
- In the Service field, type in “Anything”, and in Protocol enter _dns-sd
- There should now be an _dns-sd folder under _udp. Delete the “Anything” SRV record from within the _dns-sd folder that was created.
- Right-click the _dns-sd folder and select Other new records… and select to insert a Pointer (PTR) record.
- In Host IP Address enter the letter b and in Host Name enter the Wide Area subdomain such as mobileprint.company.com
- Create an additional Pointer (PTR) record with letters lb also pointing to the same subdomain
The final structure should look like below.
Now any Apple iOS device with the search domain set to just “company.com”, will discover the “mobileprint” subdomain and query SAFEQ Cloud for printers.
Single subdomain configuration on BIND
In addition to a delegation DNS record for the single “mobileprint.company.com” subdomain as outlined in section 188.8.131.52 Configure BIND , create DNS-SD discovery record in BIND.
In the domains master zone file, insert the following two DND-SD records:
b._dns-sd._udp IN PTR mobileprint.company.com. lb._dns-sd._udp IN PTR mobileprint.company.com.
(replace “mobileprint.company.com.” with the actual subdomain as created in SAFEQ Cloud)